On Saturday we welcome the players, officials and supporters of Saltash United for this Kitchen Kit SWPL match.
This fixture is the final league game of a spell that has seen the vast majority of our games at Bodieve Park. I’m not sure why, but prior to this season, since I took over, our away win record has been far superior to our home form. I’m glad we’ve been able to improve our stats at Bodieve in this period.
One of the advantages of being a home side is that your routine can be the same each time, however playing amongst a global pandemic changes all of that. Covid has thrown an extra layer of preparation considerations onto management and coaching staff. We have 2 changing rooms for each team at Bodieve, maximum 6 players in each. These are just bases. Team talks, both pre match, half and full time, take place on the pitch. Before the game, we still haven’t got our timings quite right, it’s strange how a shift from what you’ve always done can throw a routine.
I was frustrated by our lack of game management on Wednesday, and let the lads know of this on the pitch after the match. In hindsight, although the things needed to be said, I regret doing that whilst supporters were still leaving the ground. I’ll find another way in the future.
Being unable to speak to the lads as much as a whole group or to get around to players in the bar afterwards really affects feedback. Much more is done on the phone, between games now. Some of the newer signings still have no idea how charismatic and hilarious I am!!
As well as match day, Covid affects preparation between matches. Messages to players ordinarily revolve around hamstrings and ankles, this season we have the regular cough and temperature check ins with the lads too. A couple of the lads have missed games already due to slight coughs which have turned out to be no more than that. The boys are gutted to miss out but it’s the correct thing to do on every level.
That degree of integrity from our players is a trait that will stand us in good stead in the long run.
Saltash at home is a start of 4 really tough fixtures for us. They will be right in the mix at the end of the season and we will have to pick up a little from Camelford and Penzance to get a result. We are playing in spells at the moment. The lads have been terrific so far and the work they are putting into our matches has been remarkable. With the amount of fixtures, physically this can take its toll. The best way to look after ourselves a bit better is to look after the ball a bit better.
Thrilled with every single one of them and can’t wait to go test ourselves against the leagues best sides.
Enjoy the game
Please help us ensure a Covid Safe Bodieve Park
To ensure we provide a Covid safe environment for everyone at Bodieve Park, we will be operating on match day as follows:
Entering the Ground
- Entrance is through the Main Gate only
- At the gate please either:
- present the NHS App for scanning our venue QR code for Track and Trace purposes;
- or if you have not got a SnartPhone, please provide us your name and contact phone number which we will record on a manual paper record.
- Entrance fees are:
- £5 for Adults
- £3 for Seniors and Children
- Must be in groups of no more than 6 and keep socially distanced with a 1m minimum.
- Open but following social distancing guidelines including:
- masks must be worn at all times when standing within clubhouse
- one way system in operation with entrance via decking and exit through old main door
- table seating with max sized groups of 6
- table ordering and delivery only
- All Four Open – Two available for Home Team and Two for Away.
- MAX 6 players allowed at any time, prior, during or after the game.
- Showers Available – MAX 2 players to use at any time.
- Follow FA guidelines for socially distanced celebrations
- Only those directly involved with the team for Tuesday allowed inside the barrier.
- Spaced as well as possible within the space provided.
- Everyone else MUST remain outside barrier.
Please follow the above to ensure we can continue to provide football for your entertainment.