Match Report: Wadebridge Town 3 v 3 Okehampton Argyle (lost 3v4 on penalties in Walter C Parson League Cup)

by | Oct 21, 2023

Sponsored by:

TKS South West
Mine & Quarry Services Ltd
Sprout Developments
Sharps Brewery

Enjoy our Match Highlights, Kevin’s Match Report and our Social Media coverage from our disappointing defeat at home to Okehampton Argyle in the Walter C Parsons League Cup.

Match Highlights

Kevin’s Match Report

Holders through after epic battle at Bodieve

South West Peninsula League
Walter C Parson Cup
Second Round

Wadebridge Town 3 Okehampton Argyle 3
(aet; Okehampton won 4-3 on penalties)

Holders Okehampton Argyle’s desire not to fall at the first hurdle of their trophy defence just about saw them over the line in a see-saw thriller at Bodieve Park on Saturday.

The Devon side, who lifted the cup by beating Liskeard in last season’s final, created enough chances to have made the need for extra time and penalties unnecessary.

In the end they required an injury time equaliser to force an extra 30 minutes after being reduced to 10 men and went on to edge the spot kick shootout.

All of which left Wadebridge immensely frustrated and disappointed after putting up such a fight.

A 3-0 midweek league win at in-form Newquay had suggested the Bridgers had turned a corner after a run of five successive defeats.

And somehow they found themselves 1-0 ahead at half-time thanks to a stunning 25 yard shot from Morgan Vallejo after 40 minutes.

The score didn’t reflect the way the first half had gone, with home keeper Rob Rosevear performing heroics to prevent the visitors turning dominance into goals.

But Argyle took only five minutes to draw level after the break. Wadebridge wanted a foul when Dan Kiota pushed aside a challenge inside the penalty area but the referee waved play on and Kiota’s pass across goal was finished off by Luke Mortimore.

Okehampton increased the pressure and Rosevear had to be alert and at his best to stop Mortimore and Kiota in one on one situations, three times using his legs to prevent goals.
But Wadebridge stayed in the tie and against the run of play they retook the lead seven minutes from time when substitute Matt Lloyd poked the ball over the line after a cross from the left led to a mad scramble in the six yard box.

A minute later Okehampton were reduced to 10 men when Jake Rowe saw red after a clash with Chris Reski and that should have been game over.

But the visitors refused to give in and as the game moved into the third minute of time added on, a corner from the right was only half cleared and Charlie Harrod, unmarked on the left side of the area, sent a superb looping header over Rosevear into the net.

So to extra time and Okehampton wasted no time in taking the lead for the first time as Mortimore, one of their star performers, unleashed a ferocious volley from 18 yards into the net.

Now the visitors were favourites but four minutes later they were reduced to nine men when Luke Reynolds was sin binned for dissent.
But they should have put the tie to bed two minutes into the second half when the unmarked Kiota looked certain to score from close range but his header sailed over the bar.

This gave Wadebridge a glimmer of hope and they took it two minutes from extra time when Sam Wickins fired a half volley across goal and through the legs of Argyle keeper Mike Searle.

So to the lottery of a penalty shootout.
The first takers from each side – Jacob Smale (Wadebridge) and Kiota – duly converted their spot kicks but the second pair both missed.
Wickins’ shot was saved superbly by Searle, quickly followed by Rosevear diving to keep out Steve Goss’s effort.

Vallejo   and Mortimore (O) made it 2-2 after three penalties each before Lewis Webber missed a crucial spot kick, lifting his shot high over the bar.

A confident Josh Robins put Okehampton 3-2 ahead and although Jacob Rowe scored Wadebridge’s final kick, Dale Chadwick – who had come on as a substitute in the dying seconds of extra time – converted the winner.

A cruel way to end such an enthralling tie but on the balance of play and chances, Okehampton earned their passage into round three.

Wadebridge: R Rosevear, R Hooper, S Hepworth (S Simmonds 105 et), B Rowe (T Harris 62), S Wickins, L Webber, J Rowe, G Eastman (C Reski 75), H Chapman (M Lloyd 63), M Vallejo, J Smale.Sub not used: T Jeal.

Goals: M Vallejo (40), M Lloyd (83), S Wickins (118 et).
Yellow cards: J Rowe (54), C Reski (84), R Hooper (120+1), J Smale (120+3).

Okehampton Argyle: M Searle, S Hill (J Bouhammas 87), J Robins, A Hill, S Goss, A Gray (D Chadwick 120+4), L Mortimore, J Rowe, D Kiota, L Reynolds, C Harrod.

Goals: L Mortimore (50 & 93 et), C Harrod (90+2).
Red card: J Rowe (84).
Sin bin: L Reynolds (97 et).

Men of the Match. Wadebridge – Rob Rosevear; Okehampton – Luke Mortimore.

Kevin Marriott

Match Reporter

Match Coverage on Social Media

A selection of Social Media coverage from the match.

You may also be interested in:

News Categories

Want to Join The Club?

Would you like to come and get involved with a true family club based at Bodieve Park in Wadebridge, Cornwall running football for kids, youth and adults for both males and females and our elite 1st team playing in the South West Peninsula League? Then look no further and click the 'Get Involved' button and say hi and let us know how you would like to get involved or how we can help.  We very much look forward to welcoming you to Bodieve Park soon.